I’m going to take some time to share my story in bits and pieces. I may post once a week or daily. Haven’t decided yet. ūüôā Anyway, I invite you to share some¬†tidbits of your story as well! It’s a fun way to get to know each other!

So this is a picture of my beginning. I’m 19, have been married for 9 months and have a newborn baby. In 2001, we lived in a very small town in West TN. My life consisted of work, rest, “morning” sickness, and hanging out with my husband. We never did anything too exciting. During the summer, I would go with my mom and brother to swim at a friends house. That felt so good while pregnant! Loved it! I was in this closed little world. At this time, we didn’t own a computer let alone the internet, I knew nothing of entrepreneurship, and had no real ambishions. In fact, I had no idea what we were going to do with our life, I was blissfully content with working and staying home watching tv with my husband.

When my daughter was born, I knew nothing of midwifery or doulas. I didn’t realize that I had a choice and knew nothing about true informed consent. I had a hospital birth with the epidural and forceps. I labored for about 14 hours before receiving the epidural. 12 of those hours were at home. I stayed up all night long rocking, crying, playing solitaire, and watching Tombstone. I watched Tombstone all night because I didn’t want to move from where I was. I had gotten into a good grove of rocking with the contractions and didn’t feel like stopping. Of course, my wonderful husband was in our lovely bed fast asleep! lol Playing solitaire just helped me get through the night. We were an hour away from the hospital, so by 6 am I was ready to go! I woke my husband and we¬†were off to the hospital.

My husband was a veteran at this time, he had gone in and served close to four years in the Navy. My daughter was born in August of 2001. When I went on maternity leave, my husband’s hours were cut. So much so that we didn’t know how we were going to make it. We decided the best thing for us to do, is for him to reenlist into the Navy. In a way, I’m glad he went in when he did. After 9/11, he would have been recalled to active duty anyway. If that were the case, I believe our military life would have been a lot different.

Two weeks after our daughter was born, he went to Great Lakes in Chicago for “boot camp”. I put quotations around it because it wasn’t really boot camp, he was just getting a refresher course on his job in the Navy. By Christmas of 2001, he had orders to NAS Mayport. That was the beginning of a whole new world!!